doors Krakow The Ring tram

The Tw269 type tram, The Ring – the door (recorded from the outside)

The sound of the door opening and closing in a historic Tw269 car (so-called The Ring). The sound was recorded outside the car.

Trams of this type were manufactured in the 1930s at Danziger Wagoner Fabrik and operated in Gdańsk. The nickname The Ring comes from pre-war name of the current ul. Kościuszki (then called Ringstrasse), where the tram route terminated. The Ring was a single-section, two-way motor tram. The steel-wooden tram body was mounted on a two-axle chassis. The driver had his seat on a sheltered bridge. The entrance door is moved manually. One of the historic Ring trams found its way to Krakow and has been restored.

The tram belongs to Miejskie Przedsiębiorstwo Komunikacyjne S.A. public transport company in Krakow and during the recording it was being exhibited at the Museum of Urban Engineering. The car is in operation and is occasionally used in the streets of Krakow. The Tw269 type tramcar recordings were used in the audiovisual installation "The Ghost Tram" under the "Sounds of Changes" project.

Sound recording: Marcin Dymiter aka Emiter
Photo: Iwo Wachowicz


2.5 MB
14 s
2 (Stereo)
Sample rate:
Bit rate:
Bit depth:
44.1 kHz
1411 kb/s
16 bit

Recorded on February 26, 2019
Museum of Urban Engineering
Krakow, POLAND
Creative Commons License