The SN4 type tram – the bell (recorded from the outside)
The bell in an SN4 tram car. The sound was recorded outside the car.
The SN4 motor tram cars were produced in 1910 and imported from Germany to Krakow during World War II. Initially, due to the low capacity, they were used as trailers. Later they were upgraded and transformed into technical cars. They were occasionally used on the lines probably until 1948. In 1959, two vehicles were transferred to the MPK holiday resort in Osieczany where they are used as gazebos. The last SN4 ended its operation as a technical car in 1972.
The tram belongs to Miejskie Przedsiębiorstwo Komunikacyjne S.A. public transport company in Krakow and during the recording it was being exhibited at the Museum of Urban Engineering. The car is in operation and is occasionally used in the streets of Krakow. The SN4 type tramcar recordings were used in the audiovisual installation "The Ghost Tram" under the "Sounds of Changes" project.
Sound recording: Marcin Dymiter aka Emiter
Photo: Iwo Wachowicz