The coal crane built in 1946 was originally in use at the Bahnbetriebswerk (locomotive depot) Dahlhausen which ceased operation in 1968. It was used to load steam engines with coal. In 1977 the Bochum Dahlhausen Railway Museum was established on the former locomotive depot grounds for the preservation of the remaining buildings and objects. Thus, the coal crane became an exhibit of the museum. Today it still loads the necessary coal into the steam engines which are used to provide rides for the museum’s visitors.
The recorded sounds made by the crane are composed of the electric motor, the movement of the slewing gear and the turning of the winch for the hoist line.
Sound recordist: Konrad Gutkowski/Julian Blaschke
Photographer: Konrad Gutkowski/Julian Blaschke
Video recordist: Konrad Gutkowski/Julian Blaschke