In the tool factory Krenzer in Ennepetal (Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia) the eccentric press from the 1950s is used to shape metals (punching and cutting work as well as stamping and bending work).
The press is driven by an electric motor which moves a machine ram up and down by use of a flywheel. The rolling of the metal wheels and the blows to the metal create the loud bell-like sound.
The Krenzer Hammer is the last operating open-die forge in Ennepetal. It produces specialized tools for diverse fields of work. The firm was founded in 1878 in Grevelsberg by Friedrich Wilhelm Krenzer. In 1914 it was moved to a new facility in Ennepetal. The products as well as the production process haven't changed significantly since then. The production facilities, which are almost 100 years old, are still functional and in use today.
Sound recordist: Konrad Gutkowski/Julian Blaschke
Photographer: Konrad Gutkowski/Julian Blaschke